Roofing terminology can be confusing so whether you are considering roof repair or replacement, we are here to help. This roofing glossary can be a handy reference as you plan your home improvement projects.
Roof Pitch or Roof Slope
Slope and pitch are a measure of the steepness of a roof.
1. Slope = A ratio of a roof’s rise to a roof’s horizontal run.
2. Pitch = A ratio of a roof’s rise to a roof’s span.
How to find a roof’s slope using the drawing: Slope = Rise (inches) ÷ Run (in feet)
1. Determine the rise in inches… 5′ x 12″ = 60″ of rise.
2. Determine run in feet… Run = 1/2 of span: 20′ ÷ 2 = 10′
3. Divide rise by run… 60 ÷ 10 = 6
4. This is your slope 6:12.
5. Or simply… 5′ rise/10′ run = 6:12 slope